Exclude general problems
First of all, you should check whether your internet access is not too slow itself. Compare the indicated speed of your internet contract with the result of an internet speed test. If your contract is older, compare your contract with newly available contracts on the website of your internet service provider. Maybe you can find a faster and cheaper contract.
You can use a speed test e.g. at www.speedtest.net, if you have an Ethernet cable available, use it to connect the router to your computer. In the case of using Wifi, please place your computer as close as possible to the router to minimize possible interference.
What can you do if the result of the speed test deviates significantly from the specified speed of your contract?
- WLAN is a shared medium, make sure that other connected devices do not need the entire bandwidth, e.g. through video streaming or other downloads
- Place your router in a free position, e.g. window and point the antennas up
- Check the WiFi signal quality on your computer (see below)
- If possible, use an Ethernet cable instead of the Wifi connection
- If the signal quality is poor, the use of a Wifi repeater or powerline adapter is recommended